[AFS3-std] Copyright, internet-drafts and .xg files

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:08:41 +0000

Whilst I've been working on consolidating all of the AFS RPC refresh =
proposals, I've come across what I believe is a general problem with the =
copyright of our existing XG files, and the internet draft process.

Our XG files, as with most of the rest of OpenAFS, are distributed under =
the IBM public license, and copyright IBM + contributors. As far as my =
woefully limited knowledge of copyright law goes, any derivatives of =
these RPCs would have to be under a similar license.

This means that I (as a document author) cannot grant to the IETF Trust =
any of the provisions required by RFC5738. Now, we're in theory =
targeting the Independent stream with our documents, so this may not be =
an issue, although many of the tools I have tried don't support =
documents without 5738 boilerplate particularly well.

Finally, it does raise the question of what the copyright of the =
finished document actually is. Is the new standardisation document, in =
effect, a derivative of the original XG files, and so IPL'd? Are the XDR =
and RPC descriptions contained within that document under the IPL, and =
so unusable by GPL (or commercial) implementors?

Sorry to open this can of worms...

Simon.