[AFS3-std] Re: PTS authentication name mapping draft, second call for review

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 18:28:54 -0800

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:
> Simon Wilkinson <simon@sxw.org.uk> wrote:

>>    *) It isn't particularly extensible, because we have no change
>> control over GSSAPI. What happens if (unlikely) a Kerberos 4 GSSAPI
>> mechanism is standardised?

> Unlikely, and growing more so by the moment.  But if it happened, we'd
> have to decide whether it's more important for GSS-krb4 to match
> existing krb4 auth names in the PRDB, or for nothing to have to know
> about the correspondence.

>> What happens if we add an explicit X509 mechanism?

> Don't do that.

I might be missing some context here, but that makes me very nervous.  I
think it's extremely likely that we're going to have sites who want to use
an X.509 mechanism for authentication that is not mediated by Kerberos.