[AFS3-std] fileserver to fileserver RPCs

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 11 May 2010 13:56:50 -0400

--On Tuesday, May 11, 2010 09:45:14 AM -0400 Derrick Brashear
<shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> As part of the work done by Vishal Powar, my Google Summer of Code
> student two years ago, we have the start of readwrite replication in
> RT (http://rt.central.org/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=114116)
>
> It necessarily adds a server to server RPC protocol, which is below.
> However, it is effectively the needed subset of RPCs to create data,
> and the client ViceId of the caller.
>
> I intend to offer a standards proposal for this, instead using the
> signatures of the proposed "RPC refresh" RPCs, again with the client
> ViceIds added, with the idea that an additional Rx "service" is run on
> each fileserver to accept these.
>
> Would this be a reasonable proposal?

Sounds reasonable.
For a new service, let's start RPC numbers at 1; there's no reason to start
with large values in a service where we don't have to worry about IBM
allocating numbers out-of-process.

-- Jeff