[AFS3-std] Re: A call for consensus on draft-deason-afs3-type-time-02

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 1 Aug 2011 12:28:10 -0500

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 18:07:35 +0100
Simon Wilkinson <simon@sxw.org.uk> wrote:

> Given how much of what we want to do depends on defining a new time
> type, it would be good to keep up the momentum with this draft.
>
> Would those with problems with the current draft be prepared to
> suggest new wording for:
>
> a) the epoch value

I don't think I've heard any significant arguments for keeping the epoch
as it exists in the current draft. And since there are issues with the
current epoch value that Russ has detailed, it makes sense to me to
change it to the posix epoch. I was going to change it unless I heard
someone object; I'll propose some new text soon based on Russ'
suggestions unless someone else wants to.

> b) the granularity

This one I still have no idea on. I see reasons for both sides.

> that we could use as a basis for further discussion? It would also be
> wonderful if everyone with an interest in this topic could participate
> in that discussion, rather than waiting for another last call to raise
> objections.

Most people involved have a lot of deadlines to work with and balance.
Right now, the only "deadline" we are given for standards discussion is
the last call. If you want to ensure discussion before that point, give
another deadline.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net