[AFS3-std] Re: A call for consensus on draft-deason-afs3-type-time-02

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 1 Aug 2011 14:19:11 -0400

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:32:46 -0400
> Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > This one I still have no idea on. I see reasons for both sides.
>>
>> So is there a reason an extended union with the various stamp
>> granularities would be a nonstarter? In particular I'd suggest the
>> draft strongly discourage
>> sending a larger timestamp than actual information supports (e.g.
>> don't use bits to send precision you don't have, rather than
>> trailing-zero-padding a
>> larger than needed number)
>
> Well, the objection to just having 64-bit seconds and 32-bit nanoseconds
> is "space", and a union tag is an extra 32 bits... If we had a "100 NS
> granularity" tag, then we'd have 100-ns granularity in 96 bits, whereas
> now we could have 1-ns granularity in 96 bits. Unless there's some other
> scheme you're thinking of that somehow makes this more efficient?

for the worst case, it's worse. for the best case, it's better. but i
suppose it may not be worth it
given that the worst case will become more prevalent over time.

> I had some kind of variable-length scheme that encoded the granularity
> in the 'unused' bits of the value for coarser granularities, but I'm
> pretty sure that only saved space for the *TimeRes types, and doesn't
> really help for 'plain' times.

and those are going to be a majority, i think.

--
Derrick