[AFS3-std] Re: A call for consensus on draft-deason-afs3-type-time-02

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 12:32:58 -0500

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:06:25 -0700
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Or, hm, I suppose if you squint at it right, you can decide that
> "number of seconds" isn't just elapsed actual time, but includes the
> leap seconds that were inserted.  Which would also work for our
> phrasing.  Maybe we could just say that explicitly.  Something like:
>
>     the number of seconds and nanoseconds since midnight or 0 hour
>     January 1, 1970 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), including any
>     leap seconds inserted into UTC.

It's very possible I am backwards on this, but shouldn't this be
"excluding any leap seconds"? That is, in our time representation,
there is a difference of 1 "second" (however we define "second") between
the times 31 Dec 2005 23:59:59 and 01 Jan 2006 00:00:00, even though
there was a leap second at 31 Dec 2005 23:59:60. That is, I thought we'd
be following UTC more than TAI.

And also, I did find another instance of this being mentioned in IETF
RFCs. RFC 4049 states in Section 2 (at the top of the second page):

    The integer value is the number of seconds, excluding leap seconds,
    after midnight UTC, January 1, 1970.

Would that work for us?

--
Andrew Deason