[AFS3-std] Re: A call for consensus on draft-deason-afs3-type-time-02

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 12:58:57 -0500

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 10:50:11 -0700
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> We could take the same approach if we use the other epoch, although I
> think we should be more wordy about it:

Oh, I thought we'd just use the Unix epoch since it just makes some of
this easier. A note on converting to pre-UTC dates seems good, though.

Also just by the way, NTPv4 apparently uses an epoch in 1900. They have
this to say about it in RFC 5905:

    In the date and timestamp formats, the prime epoch, or base date of
    era 0, is 0 h 1 January 1900 UTC, when all bits are zero.  It should
    be noted that strictly speaking, UTC did not exist prior to 1
    January 1972, but it is convenient to assume it has existed for all
    eternity, even if all knowledge of historic leap seconds has been
    lost.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net