[AFS3-std] AFS3-standardization Co-Chair Nominations time commitments

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:15:26 -0500

One of the potential nominees asked:

 > Can you give me some idea of what time commitment is required?

So far it has been only a few hours a week, but depending on how much you
want to get involved, and how many drafts are active, it could be more.

There are no meeting you have to attend, and the duties of a co-chair are to
keep the group inline, and moving.  A co-chair could then leave it up to the
author of a draft to handle all the issues for a draft or get more involved
if this is not happening. (So far that has not been a problem.)

The chair does not have to be an expert in the details of a draft, but needs
to recognize that others in the group have issues and if there is general
consensuses for a draft.

After consensuses, we are submitting our drafts as IETF Independent
Submissions to the RFC editor. As this process is designed for individuals,
not groups, I have left the submission up to the authors.  We are breaking
ground as a group in submitting a  group approved draft in this way.

We have our first draft in that state waiting for the three reviewers (they
know who they are) to get their reviews in to the RFC Editor. I have had some
e-mail discussions with the IETF RFC Editor on this process.
on behalf of the group.

When the first draft is reviewed, I expect that there will be some additional
text that needs  to be added to the draft, and to all our drafts. The
individual authors of the drafts will have to do this. It is up to the Chair
to keep after them.

There are two chairs, Hartmut is the co-chair, for one more year, and the new
co-chair will have a 2 year term. So it is up to the chairs how the work is
split, and how much time you want to put into it.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory