[AFS3-std] Re: IPv6?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:49:55 -0500

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:37:50 -0500
Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:

> What is the status of the AFS protocol support for IPv6? What remains to
> be done?

A new type needs to be defined to handle general "addresses" (in place
of the current 32-bit ints). There was some work done on that to see
what such a thing would look like (the thread "Encoding IPvN addreses"),
but in those discussions I believe we agreed that we wanted to use
extended unions for those, for which the most recent draft is here:
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-keiser-afs3-xdr-union-03>. That draft
has only one pending change as far as I'm aware (a max length for
unknown legs).

We could probably start talking about the "address" type in more detail
again; I think how ext-union works in general has enough consensus for
it not to change too drastically.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net