[AFS3-std] Re: AFSVol GetSizeV2 draft

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sat, 05 Feb 2011 04:05:52 -0500

--On Friday, February 04, 2011 03:02:08 PM -0600 Andrew Deason
<adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

>> 114-118: Move these lines to a separate section (3.3) entitled "Return
>> Codes". Also, is there a symbolic value for 0, rather than assuming
>> the C library returns 0 for OK on all platforms?
>
> We've been using 0 everywhere (and I don't think we care what the
> platform uses as a constant for success; we always return 0). We have
> the symbolic constant RXGEN_SUCCESS that we could in theory use, but no
> relevant code in OpenAFS actually uses it. (The client-side stub
> routines make use of it for local processing, but nothing that gets sent
> over the wire actually originates from an RXGEN_SUCCESS expansion, I
> think)

The return code for successful return from an Rx RPC is zero.  This is
inherent in the protocol, because a successful return is represented
differently from any error return.  Having a constant for this might look
pretty, but pretending it can be other than zero is silly.

BTW, David, it would be really helpful if in your comments you referred to
sections of the document (its logical structure) rather than only to
specific line numbers in a particular representation.  For example...

>> 162: is there a official name for the AFS AN registry? If so, use it
>> here.
>
> I don't know; other AFS-3 drafts don't give any. It's possible that we
> could refer to it as the registry defined in
> draft-wilkinson-afs3-standardisation-00 Section 2.3.2, but other drafts
> should probably do that, too. And can I even do that, since that I-D is
> expired?

My web browser doesn't show line numbers, so it's very hard for me to
figure out what "line 162" is here and thus to figure out what David is
commenting on.

I've been using the name "AFS Assigned Numbers Registry" on the web pages
since the registry was founded.  I imagine you can keep using that name,
possibly with s/AFS/AFS3/; mostly, I just don't see this as an issue.
However, note that draft-wilkinson-afs3-standardization-00 is _not_ this
group's charter; it is a starting point for developing a charter and the
source of the rules under which we elected the first chairs.  I do hope the
group will get around to writing and adopting a charter soon.

-- Jeff