[AFS3-std] Encoding IPvN addresses (was Re: first draft: ubik update proposal)

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 7 Feb 2011 15:23:37 -0500

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:08 PM, David Boyes <dboyes@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> On 2/7/11 3:02 PM, "Chaskiel Grundman" <cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>

>>> enum ippack { IPv4=1, IPv6Bytes=2, IPv6Shorts=3, IPV6Ints=4 };
>>We need to define a single canonical form of ipv6 address. it's up to the
>>endpoints to translate whatever their in6_addr is to/from that form. Other
>>than that, this is the right idea.
>
> Amen. Long form, please.

all of those are different representations of the same number of
bytes. so, "long form" means you'd like one of the 3 options already
here?

if you'd like a literal mapping of the colon-separated octet-sets to
array elements, you'd be suggesting the array IPv6Shorts in this
proposal. that's fine with me too.

--
Derrick