[AFS3-std] Re: Encoding IPvN addresses (was Re: first draft: ubik update proposal)

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 7 Feb 2011 16:00:40 -0600

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 16:46:25 -0500
Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:

> Treat it as an opaque vector.  An IPv6 address is not actually an
> array of 16- or 32-bit integers, and treating it that way means you're
> going to have to jump through hoops to get the byte order right when
> local byte order is not the same as network order.  Better to just
> treat the whole thing as an opaque bitstring, which is what it is.

That sounds more like the IPv6Bytes above than an XDR opaque, to me,
since the length of the bitstring is known and not variable. (Assuming
you meant an opaque vector like the built-in XDR opaque vector, with the
included encoded length).

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net