[AFS3-std] Re: Encoding IPvN addresses

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 8 Feb 2011 17:29:32 -0600

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 19:41:45 -0500
Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:

> Is there a plausible case where multiple IPv4, IPv6 or a mixture of
> addresses would need to be packed into this single field? I'm just
> wondering if we need to deal with multicast/anycast/foocast or dual
> IPv4/IPv6 layers.
>
> I'm guessing that these cases would be a list or array of the field
> under discussion, but I wanted to ask the naive question.

I think it's handled fine by the layer above, by having an array of
addresses. Conceptually, to me, the address just specifies "what do I
give to sendto()". While you may sendto() in a loop retrying different
addresses, etc, each packet transmission only gets a single destination
address.

Of course, if somehow in the future this assumption is violated, I think
everything we're discussing here allows for it. You simply make a new
address type that consists of a bunch of IPv4/6 addresses. It's hard for
me to imagine that being necessary, but we're not precluding it.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net