[AFS3-std] Re: Encoding IPvN addresses

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Wed, 09 Feb 2011 21:19:39 -0500

On 02/09/2011 08:58 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> --On Wednesday, February 09, 2011 08:36:53 PM -0500 Derrick Brashear
> <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I support having port numbers so that hosting multiple cells on the
>>> same
>>> host may be possible. How would port numbers be handled, if not
>>> alongside
>>> the address?
>>
>> as another element in an RPC payload?
>
> Exactly.  Alongside the address, not as part of it.

Would the address and port be treated as an inseparable pair? Would a
list of addresses include one port, or one for each address?

Since the port+address represents an endpoint, and presumably, all
communications happen between endpoints, would storing the address and
port in the same structure make sense?

Jason