[AFS3-std] XCB union decoding (was Re: Encoding IPvN addresses)

Matt W. Benjamin matt@linuxbox.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 12:31:02 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
----- "Andrew Deason" <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> But in that situation with XCB, if you get an unknown callback type,
> there's not anything you can do with it, so the only thing I can see
> happening is that you drop it. And so, you've dropped a callback
> break,
> which means losing information or keeping stale data around in the
> cache.

Maybe, yes.  The potential impact of dropping an XCB depends on the message (esp. as it evolves).  All but one of the original XCBs are effectively breaks.  The current flock XCB interface is a bit different, etc.

>I would expect that the fileserver be told that a client
> doesn't
> understand a certain callback type, and so would have to work around
> it
> (probably by sending a Cancelled or something).

Yes, there is a need that type of information, possibly at both ends.