[AFS3-std] Re: A call for consensus on draft-brashear-afs3-pts-extended-names-07

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 10:22:15 -0500

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Douglas E. Engert <deengert@anl.gov> wrote:
> The co-chairs have agreed that "implicit mapping" should be explained better
> and that after that we could declare the consensus. The discussion about
> wild
> characters seems to show that there are too many open questions to include
> it here. It also is more a question of the implementation because on the
> wire
> it would not require different RPCs.
>
> So we need the text for the explanation. I would like to see Derrick as
> author, work with Jeff and Andrew (and anyone else with input) to come up
> with
> the explanation and send to the list for review.

An explicit mapping is one that can be configured, represented, and
returned by the protocol defined in this document. An implicit mapping
is site- or implementation-specific. Examples of implicit mapping would
be translation of a client authenticating as Kerberos 5 principal
user@REALM to a PTS name of user,
and of a client authenticating as Kerberos 5 principal
host/sample.host.name@REALM to a PTS name
of rcmd.sample, before an AFS ID is looked up and returned.