[AFS3-std] Submitting a draft RFC as Experimental

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:15:11 -0500

--On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 02:27:27 PM -0600 "Douglas E. Engert"
<deengert@anl.gov> wrote:

> On 1/12/2011 11:54 AM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>> On 1/12/2011 12:39 PM, Douglas E. Engert wrote:
>>> The way I am reading draft-wilkinison-afs3-standardisation-00 Section
>>> 2.3.3, the pts draft should be moved to experimental, which would
>>> require the author to add the explanation and submit it to the RFC
>>> editors as experimental.
>

> http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html
> Says:
> 	The desired category (Informational or Experimental) of the RFC.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/ietf-ftp/1id-guidelines.txt
> Says:
>     Indicating what intended status the I-D if it is published as
>     an RFC is fine; however, this should be done with the words
>     "Intended status: <status>" on the left side of the first page.
>
> I am not sure if "desired category" == "Intended status".

It is.  In the IETF, that field is used to describe the status the document
is expected to eventually have, once it is published as an RFC.  It appears
only in Internet-Drafts, not in published RFC's.

>  From draft-wilkinison-afs3-standardisation-00 Section 2.3.3  it looks
> like we intend to keep documents as "draft", "experimental" or "standard".

Yes, but those are our designations.  If you publish an internet-draft with
"Intended status: Standard", people will think you intend for it to become
an Internet Standard, which is not what we want them to think.  It might be
reasonable to say "Intended status: AFS3 Standard" or something like that,
if you want to distinguish documents that are expected to work through the
process from those that are expected to go away.

> When you submitted it the first time, did you include any reviewers?

I don't believe this document has ever been submitted to the RFC-Editor.  I
don't think it should be until we actually consider it a "standard".  IIRC,
part of the goal was to minimize the burden we place on the RFC-Editor.

-- Jeff