[AFS3-std] A call for consensus on draft-deason-afs3-type-time-02

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Wed, 27 Jul 2011 23:32:23 +0200 (CEST)

> I have read the draft, and I do not support it in its current form.

If the things about the Epoch is like Steven describes it:

> I may be speaking incorrectly here (I apologize for not having
> researched this more thoroughly beforehand, but I wanted to get this
> feedback out before the Call completes), but my recollection is that
> AFS time defines epoch to be January 1, 1970; thus, by adopting this
> RFC, AFS would have two different definitions for epoch depending on
> the time resolution used.  Given the confusion this might engender,
> and the change from the current AFS-3 and Unix definition of epoch, I
> suggest the definition of epoch not be changed.

I think as well that two different definitions of Epoch are something
that invites future confusion and errors, so I'd rather see if that
would NOT happen.

Harald.