[AFS3-std] Re: A call for consensus on draft-deason-afs3-type-time-02

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:22:29 -0500

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:09:39 -0400
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> File systems do not copy this information to each other directly.  All
> metadata is copied through an operating system VFS layer.  Are there
> any VFS layers that actually provide better than 100ns resolution?

I've been told verbally (informally) that z/OS offers ns-granular
timestamp information. I can't find documentation confirming that, but
I'm not really sure where to look, either.

It's also not strictly true that we always go through a VFS layer, since
we could be translating directly to/from NFS, or there could be a
userspace application that speaks those protocols directly. Going
through an OS VFS is certainly the vast vast majority of cases, though.

I'm not saying that means we care, but I believe those are some cases
where we would lose precision.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net