[AFS3-std] Re: A call for consensus on draft-deason-afs3-type-time-02

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:06:25 -0700

Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> RFC 3530 just says (section 2.2):

>>> The nfstime4 structure gives the number of seconds and nanoseconds
>>> since midnight or 0 hour January 1, 1970 Coordinated Universal Time
>>> (UTC).

> The only reference to leap seconds in the IETF I see is something called
> UTC-SLS that was specified in an I-D, but as far as I can tell it was
> never used by anything nor pushed through the standards process.

Okay, so that also requires TAI and requires that all timestamps stored in
NFSv4 be 17 seconds off from UTC, at least by my reading.  Sigh.  I wonder
if this was discussed at all at the time.  Well, I suppose maybe they mean
"POSIX seconds."  :)

Or, hm, I suppose if you squint at it right, you can decide that "number
of seconds" isn't just elapsed actual time, but includes the leap seconds
that were inserted.  Which would also work for our phrasing.  Maybe we
could just say that explicitly.  Something like:

    the number of seconds and nanoseconds since midnight or 0 hour January
    1, 1970 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), including any leap seconds
    inserted into UTC.