[AFS3-std] Re: abort packet format

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:16:02 -0600

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 13:23:05 -0500
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@your-file-system.com> wrote:

> I do not believe that a cache manager that is aware it is being
> throttled would do anything differently.  The cache manager is issuing
> RPCs to the file server because an application is performing an action
> that the cache manager cannot satisfy locally.  If the cache manager
> knew it was being throttled, what should it do differently?

One more possibility here is that a client would be able to more easily
flag itself as being throttled, for monitoring purposes or similar. In
practice, I expect sites will get by well enough if they just have to
detect some string in a log, so I don't think that that alone is a
reason to decide anything. But something more machine-readable would be
nice for that.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net