[AFS3-std] Re: AFS-3 XDR discriminated union primitive type I-D

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 9 Mar 2011 15:17:44 -0600

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 16:11:02 -0500
Tom Keiser <tkeiser@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> Additionally, I can envision cases where an unknown-discriminant is
> potentially more serious than a length mismatch for a known
> discriminant (e.g., consider a case where a non-critical XCB
> notification has a bad length, but a critical XCB notification
> discriminant is unknown by the decoding peer).

But why are you trusting the discriminant (which aiui will be used to
determine criticality) more than the data in the arm? At that point it
seems like the whole arm+length+discriminant is effectively garbage.
Maybe it was intended to be critical, but the value of the discriminant
had a bit flipped or something.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net