[AFS3-std] AFS-3 64-bit time I-D

Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:53:20 -0500

--------------enig8A1DBD061FA880CED3AB5CC9

On 3/11/2011 10:01 AM, Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> However, I'm less sure about the time resolution variable. This means
> that we are in effect tripling the size of every time payload in AFS.
> I'd be interested in a far more detailed discussion of the pros and con=
> for including this variable. In particular, will this information reall=
> change sufficiently rapidly that it needs to be included with every
> single piece of time data? Does it give us benefits that specifying a
> per-service granularity using capability bits won't?

Another question surrounding the resolution field is what granularity
would be assumed when reading a timestamp out of a non-AFS file system
that provides for 100-ns or better time granularity but no resolution
information about the source of the value.

Thinking about it further.  Perhaps we simply need to specify that all
values must be rounded down to the known granularity when setting the
value and drop the resolution field.

I would be interested in hearing the use cases this is intended to addres=
s.

Jeffrey Altman