[AFS3-std] Re: AFS-3 64-bit time I-D

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:03:13 -0600

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:01:44 +0000
Simon Wilkinson <simon@sxw.org.uk> wrote:

> However, I'm less sure about the time resolution variable. This means
> that we are in effect tripling the size of every time payload in AFS.
> I'd be interested in a far more detailed discussion of the pros and
> cons for including this variable. In particular, will this information
> really change sufficiently rapidly that it needs to be included with
> every single piece of time data? Does it give us benefits that
> specifying a per-service granularity using capability bits won't?

No, I don't think that is sufficient. A service can support
100ns-granular time, but say it reads a time value from disk from a
structure that represents time in seconds. If you transmit that time (or
a time derived from it), it is inferred from the other side that it has
100ns granularity if this is done just with a per-service cap bit, which
is incorrect.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net