[AFS3-std] Re: AFS-3 64-bit time I-D

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:54:19 -0600

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:30:05 -0500
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> My point is that it is impossible to know the granularity in this
> case.  Transmitting additional granularity information doesn't help
> when it is unknown.

True. In such cases the only thing that I see that can be done is that
you flatten everything to some guessed resolution and say "it works up
to 1ms; good enough". But right now in the existing draft, this
determination is made by whomever generates the timestamp, which
definitely does not seem correct.

What about a representation for "unknown resolution"? Just, say,
0xffffffff in the resolution field (or perhaps 0x00000000) means "I
don't know the resolution". We could cap that to mean "at most 1s
resolution", since I don't think anything less granular than that is too
common or reasonable (and we do 1s granularity right now anyway, so...)

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net