[AFS3-std] Re: rx throttle counts in rx-debug-peers

Michael Meffie mmeffie@sinenomine.net
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:51:13 -0400

Simon Wilkinson wrote:
> [On afs3-standardisation, Andrew wrote: ]
>
>>> However, that does not preclude a specification, which raises
>>> another question: can/should we publish OpenAFS-specific standards?
>>> If we make I-Ds that clearly demarcate themselves as for OpenAFS and
>>> not AFS-3 in general, it would seem valuable as a standard
>>> specification for these kinds of things. The same thing could go for
>>> the Ubik voting/beacon protocols, cmdebug, and other things that so
>>> far have appeared to be considered "internal" to OpenAFS, but still
>>> travel over the wire.
>
> [and Tom replied ... ]
>
>> As one of the people Andrew spoke with about this earlier today, I'd
>> like to second this proposal. Even if we merely use the I-D format--
>> yet publish via our own OpenAFS-specific document submission stream--
>> I think there would be a lot of value in formalizing the process of
>> changing/documenting OpenAFS-specific behavior.
>
> This is the wrong place to be having this discussion - it really
> belongs on the OpenAFS lists. I've CC'd openafs-devel with this
> response, hopefully we can continue this discussion there.
>
> I have a number of concerns with this approach. Firstly, it's
> important to note that I-Ds are not an archival document series.
> Publishing an I-D may serve as a useful, if heavyweight, means of
> encouraging discussion, but it does nothing in terms of ensuring that
> the document is available in the future. The only way to do so is to
> advance the I-D to an RFC. However, discussing OpenAFS implementation
> details within the RFC series is definitely inappropriate.
>
> Secondly, we already have a mechanism for discussing code changes to
> OpenAFS, and I can't see why structure changes can't use that same
> mechanism. If it's an OpenAFS implementation detail, then surely it
> should be decided in exactly the same way as every other OpenAFS
> implementation detail. If a better form of documentation is required,
> then I would much rather that that documentation lived within the
> source tree, than in some location on the web that's subject to a far
> worse degree of bit rot. We've already discussed, at length, on how we
> should be using openafs-devel for design review in advance of coding,
> and this seems like just another instance of that.

Hello Simon,

I think we are all in agreement these structures need to be documented,
and since debugging information is inherently implementation specific,
I do agree this documentation should be the responsibility of the
implementers.

I think initially (when this thread first started), the intention was
to fully document anything and everything with respect to AFS client
and servers transmitted over the wire.  However, some structures are
completely implementation specific. Such as the structures from the
cmdebug output, as Jeff and others have pointed out.  The rxdebug
structures seem to fit within that realm.  I think when I started this
thread so long ago, my understanding was was mistaken in that the rxdebug
information was to be documented as part of the Rx layer, which is why
we started the discussion here.

Personally, at this point I do think the debugging or introspection
structures are inherently implementation (and version) specific, and
should be out-of-scope for afs3 standardization, and should be
documented as part of an implementation. It would be important for
afs3 I-Ds to explicitly document such portions are implementation
specific and may change from version to version.  I suppose, I would
expect some standard mechanism to at least identify an implementation
level but the debugging data would be opaque from the AFS3 point of view.

Thoughts?

Mike --