[AFS3-std] Re: IBM will not re-license OpenAFS .xg files

Kim Kimball dhk@ccre.com
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 22:29:08 -0600

I expect Andrew's response will differ little from others. =20

The blessing and curse of open source work lies in the lack of budgets and a=
uthorities.

Even if OpenAFS could constrain development/standards/miscellaneous effort i=
t doesn't appear to be practical.  In a paid organization constraining a giv=
en effort can be decided in favor of reallocating the freed resources, drive=
n by mandate and the golden rule (the 'who has the gold makes the rules' var=
iant.). In a purely volunteer arena, constraining an activity in favor of an=
other may simply lose resources instead of accomplishing a desired reallocat=
ion.

I'm not sure how open source organizations function in this regard.  Do task=
s need sponsors?  Is there any authority to say 'we will do these things, an=
d not these others?'. Is effort only constrained by what people are willing t=
o do/submit?

The idea of working on one standards document at a time is interesting.  Tak=
ing it as an example,  it seems that the probability of its success lies in a=
greement among confederates. =20

Late to the party I'm sure, but the idea of allocating resources is quite di=
fferent in all-volunteer organizations. =20

I have of late wondered about the future of AFS, and wished for a corporate o=
wner so direction and resource allocation could be focused,  but have mostly=
 lamented the lack of marketing.  I watch organizations make significant inv=
estment in technologies that are inferior -- from companies that have sales a=
nd marketing budgets.

Kim
dhk@ccre.com
970-215-6359