[AFS3-std] Re: IBM will not re-license OpenAFS .xg files

Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:56:25 -0400

--------------enig33AFD30E17C2A2CF8F67C667

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:47:23 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 14:37:04 -0400
> Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@your-file-system.com> wrote:
>
>> draft-brashear-afs3-pts-extended-names was approved by this group.
>> There is nothing to do but implement it.
>
> That has been very unclear. This standard only seems to exist as an
> expired IETF I-D, and as far as I'm aware, there was still an
> outstanding rather important objection to RemoveAuthName as it exists i=
> the IETF archive. That's how we're leaving it?

If you go back and review the mail thread you will find that the=20
objection
was given to this list months after consensus was already obtained.
That is the cost of failing to review documents in a timely fashion.
This group can decided to revise the standard but it would be a new
document.

The Internet Draft is not a published document.  I seem to remember that
one of the chairs at the time was going to develop a web site to publish
pointers to documents and their status much as each IETF working group
has.  Unfortunately, such a page was never created.

I might add that the blocking issue for an OpenAFS implementation
of draft-brashear-afs3-pts-extended-names is the need for changes to
Ubik as discussed at the last hackathon held in Pittsburgh last year.

Jeffrey Altman