[AFS3-std] Re: IBM will not re-license OpenAFS .xg files

Tom Keiser tkeiser@sinenomine.net
Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:38:49 -0400

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman@your-file-system.com> wrote:
> On 8/30/2012 4:49 PM, Tom Keiser wrote:
>
>> What you are saying directly contradicts the multi-phased process
>> prescribed in Section 2.3 of our bylaws.  Jeffrey Hutzelman's email,
>> dated 2/1/2011, to this group lays out the process in cogent detail,
>> so I will not bother to duplicate it here.
>
> The text you are referring to was intended to prevent unnecessary
> work by the RFC Editor.  Only documents that have been deemed to be
> "AFS3 Standards" should be sent to the RFC Editor for publication as
> an Independent Submission RFC.
>
> Once a document has reached consensus the document is final and declared
> to be an "AFS3 Experimental Standard".  At this point any RPC signatures
> and code point assignments are frozen because implementers are now
> permitted to write code and deploy it.
>
> To revise an AFS Experimental Standard a new Internet Draft series is
> started.  When that document reaches consensus it too can be declared an
> "AFS3 Experimental Standard".

Ok.  This paragraph is precisely the point I did not infer from
Simon's draft (likely a consequence of not having participated in an
IETF WG before).  It would not have occurred to me that a new I-D
would be created when addressing issues uncovered during
implementation; fair enough.

> However, once a document is forwarded to the RFC Editor as this document
> was, it is supposed to be an "AFS3 Standard".  If this is not clear,

Luckily, section 14 of -09 clarifies this point.  Alas, we seem to
have not followed our own charter terribly well: JHutz's 1/12/2011
countermand of Doug Engert's request (to submit to the ISE with
"intended status" set to 'experimental') was, somehow, missed in the
subsequent months.

> then the bylaws for this group will need to be changed.  Of course, they
> need to be changed in any case.

Indeed.  I agree with JHutz: it may actually be fortuitous that we let
the charter sit this long, as we now have a substantial pile of
lessons learned...

-Tom