[AFS3-std] more on draft-wilkinson-afs3-rxgk-02

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Mon, 20 Feb 2012 20:10:47 +0000

On 20 Feb 2012, at 18:51, Dave Botsch wrote:
> 1.1 requirements langauge - define client, application, and connection
> (I am guessing that "client" refers to an individual workstation, and
> "connection" refers to each individual application attempting to =
access
> afs? Anyway, definitions here would help

connection is an RX connection (which is the RX unit at which security =
is applied).

> startparams ... so, is this affected by the security level set on the
> client? If the client wants "encryption", should it also say it will
> take "integrity" and "clear"? Or is the expectaion that the client =
will
> only ask for "encryption" with no fallback?

That's an implementation decision for the client. On some occasions it =
may be appropriate to ask for encryption with no fallback, in others you =
may be happy with encryption/integrity, in others you may be prepared to =
settle for whatever is available.

> As an aside, what's the feedback mechanism to the user so that the =
user
> knows he/she is getting what he/she asks for?

That's an implementation decision.

> And can the encryption level be downgraded upon renegotiation?

Yes. When you get new tokens (which is what renegotiation is, in =
effect), you can request a different encryption level.

> 8.1 Overview - the "challenge" referenced, is that the chanllenge in =
the
> below section(s)? "the standard RX security establishment protocol"...
> to what is this referring (a section in this document or something in
> another document?

The challenge is the RX security challenge - it's a defined part of the =
RX protocol, as is "the standard RX security establishment protocol". =
These are defined, as best as we can currently get, in
http://web.mit.edu/kolya/afs/rx/rx-spec

> 10.1 - why aren't RX Abort packets protected? Where do these fit in?
> Reference, please.

The fact that RX abort packets aren't subject to the RX security layer =
is a core part of the RX protocol. Again, =
http://web.mit.edu/kolya/afs/rx/rx-spec is the best documentation of =
this that we currently have.

Cheers,

Simon.