[AFS3-std] Re: rxgk token expiry

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:11:51 -0700

Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> writes:

> I think this also makes it quite clear the need for an Rxk5 standard, in
> addition to rxgk that explicitly directly uses Kerberos 5 tickets *as*
> tokens, and continues to provide the robust 'you lose access when your
> tickets expire' behavior that users, and administrators expect.

It really doesn't.  rxgk is superior to rxk5, including in fixing some
security vulnerabilities that rxk5 would still have around protection of
callback data.  You don't get anything from rxk5 that you don't also get
from rxgk.

> There are also cases where we're going to need rxgk tokens that exist
> longer than kerberos authorization.

Why?  I don't see why this is any more necessary than having rxkad tokens
exist longer than the underlying Kerberos ticket would be.