rxgk CombineTokens and enctypes (was Re: [AFS3-std] Re: afs3-rxgk-updates for 03)

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Sat, 3 Nov 2012 09:12:42 +0000

On 3 Nov 2012, at 00:37, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> 1) accept a list of tokens, instead of just two
> 2) define how things get composed when you combine combined tokens.  =
For example, say that tokens contain a flat list of identities, and =
combining results in (@id1, @id2).
> 3) disallow combining of combined tokens
> 4) leave the identity/authz meaning up to the application, including =
the question of what multiple combination means.
>=20
> I prefer option 4.  Well, I prefer options 1 and 4 together, but that =
would be a change which I don't intend to push for.
>=20

I also prefer option 4. This document says nothing about the format of a =
token, which is what really determines what meaning you can attach to =
the group of combined identities. When we come to discuss =
AFSCombineTokens, we will need to address this point - but I'm trying to =
avoid broadening this discussion to incorporate the AFS specific draft =
at the moment.

Before we all spend a huge amount of time on CombineTokens, I think its =
worth noting that it primarily exists as a building block for =
AFSCombineTokens. It may be more productive to consider what =
AFSCombineTokens should look like, and then which of those features are =
sufficiently generic that they should be back-ported into CombineTokens =
itself.

Cheers,

Simon.