rxgk CombineTokens and enctypes (was Re: [AFS3-std] Re: afs3-rxgk-updates for 03)

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Sat, 3 Nov 2012 09:30:19 +0000

On 2 Nov 2012, at 22:32, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

>> It changes the RPC signature, which is by no means a blocking =
objection=20
>> (but might, say, hurt interoperability with already-deployed=20
>> implementations).
>=20
> I don't think there are any, and to some extent, that's what you get =
for
> deploying a work-in-progress before it's done.  I know YFS has an
> implementation, or at least most of one.  However, I suspect they're
> running it on an alternate Rx service ID (allocated by the registrar =
for
> that purpose) to avoid conflicts with whatever eventually comes out of
> this process.  I don't know if they've shipped or deployed anything.

YFS have a deployed implementation, which does run on an alternate =
service ID. We decided to implement support for alternate service-IDs =
specifically so that we could work around a slow and unpredictable =
standardisation process. Of course, this does mean that we have =
implementation experience of the drafts as they currently stand - we =
obviously can't provide the benefits of this experience to discussions =
of bits that get modified.

Cheers,

Simon