[AFS3-std] Re: rxgk CombineTokens and enctypes (was Re: Re: afs3-rxgk-updates for 03)

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 6 Nov 2012 19:28:46 -0600

On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 14:34:37 -0400 (EDT)
Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> If we agree that "union" is not the right word (it sounds like Simon
> agrees?), then we cannot talk of a "list" of identities, either.
>
> But, going back and actually searching through the document, "list of
> identities" only appears in this line where the "list of identities is
> the union of", so the changes needed actually are localized.
> Something like "[user] identity information associated with the tokens
> are combined in an application-specific manner" should suffice, I
> think.

I agree with Jeff's (b) option in his reply, which I think is what
you're actually going for, as well. Here's some text I'm just throwing
out there, if you want to incorporate somehow or not:

[After the lifetime, byte-life, etc fields are specified]
+ The identity in the new "combined" token is an application-specific
+ combination of the identities of the input tokens; note that this
+ combination may not be commutative.

When thinking about this, it makes me wonder if
CombineTokens/AFSCombineTokens warrants an input parameter to specify
one of possibly many app-specific combination operations. That is, you
could specify a different constant for generating a combined token that
is actually a union of user identities, and a different constant for
combining with a CM-specific token, and a different constant for getting
a token for executing requests by proxy for another user, etc...

But I think that may be going a bit too far / trying to do too much;
it's easy enough to just define new RPCs for things like that, if they
seem desirable in the future. I just mention it because it sounded
interesting :)

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net