[AFS3-std] Re: rxgk token: encrypted blob or not

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Tue, 6 Nov 2012 20:47:43 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012, Andrew Deason wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:50:17 -0400 (EDT)
> Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
>>> However, I don't think it's difficult to generalize this a bit more.
>>> My off-hand guess at some text:
>>>
>>> "... It is assumed that such applications will conceptually 'encrypt' a
>>> token by somehow associating the 'encrypted' token with the associated
>>> unencrypted data, and will 'decrypt' an encrypted token by looking up
>>> that association to find the unencrypted data."
>>>
>>> But I don't think it is worth spending much time on this; this seems
>>> very unlikely to result in any practical issues.
>>
>> Fair enough.
>>
>> Where should we mention the RXGK_SERVER_ENC_TOKEN key usage?
>> It doesn't really seem right to bump it to rxgk-afs...
>
> The text you pushed to github seems fine (which still has
> RXGK_SERVER_ENC_TOKEN right there for encrypted blobs). However, it

I realized after I sent that, that I had gotten a couple of comments
out-of-order, and that you had +1'd adding the mention of the key usage in
a different spot in the thread.  Sorry for that, and thanks for the
confirmation.

> says:
>
>      If the token is an encrypted blob, it should be encrypted using
>      the key usage RXGK_SERVER_ENC_TOKEN.
>
> should that be a SHOULD ?

I don't think so.  If we needed 2119-language, I think it would be a MUST.
But I'm not sure that we need 2119 language.  We don't use it when talking
about the other key usages, if I remember correctly.

-Ben