[AFS3-std] Re: rxgk CombineTokens and enctypes

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 27 Nov 2012 10:42:40 -0600

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:31:28 -0500 (EST)
Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> > the language, though:
> >
> > +        If rekeying would cause this value to wrap, then the key version number
> > +        can be stored locally
> >
> > "MAY be stored locally", I think?
>
> If the connection is going to use the full 32-bit key version number
> space, the full number MUST be available; to me this would mean either
> storing all 32 bits locally or storing the top 16 bits locally.
> The key derivation function requires all 32 bits.

I just meant that the whole process of storing the 32-bit number is
optional (as I believed you were saying), hence "MAY"; I didn't mean
anything about what parts are stored locally or anything.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net