[AFS3-std] rxgk-afs tokens for ptservers, etc.

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:44:09 +0000

On 12 Feb 2013, at 22:06, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> I'm not sure what to do about the bosserver.  It's really more of a
> management tool than part of the main protocol suite.  It seems like, =
at
> a minimum, it ought to be possible to obtain a token for a given
> bosserver by negotiating directly with that server, the same as for =
any
> other rxgk service.  Arguably the same should be possible for =
volservers
> and maybe even fileservers, though in practice that doesn't seem as
> useful.

The approach I took with bosservers was to treat them as a completely =
different service. It's hard to define what cell a bosserver belongs to, =
as well as the need to be able to talk to bos before the vlserver is up. =
So, making them separate from the afs3 service seemed to make a lot of =
sense.

In this model, all machines running bos have their own =
afs3-bos/machine.name@REALM key. There is a gss negotiation service =
running on the bosserver port which is used purely for connections to =
bos. The downside of this is that we no longer use tokens held in the =
kernel for connections to bos. This might result in some user confusion =
where their tokens don't match the contents of their Kerberos =
credentials cache, but does mean that bos can be used from machines =
which aren't running a cache manager.

Cheers,

Simon