[AFS3-std] Re: tokens for bosserver

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 21:55:29 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013, Andrew Deason wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:00:24 +0000
> Simon Wilkinson <simon@sxw.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Implementing this would be tricky. You'd have to require that both
>> keys were present in the same keytab, and then have
>> gss_accept_sec_context accept any credential, and then export the
>> accepted name and check that it matched either of the keys that you
>> were prepared to accept. Doing that in a way that is mechanism
>> independent isn't possible with stock GSSAPI (we hit this problem with
>> OpenSSH). Doing it in a mechanism specific fashion requires all sorts
>> of nastiness around gss_export_name.
>
> The above seems to imply that the server needs to be able to accept
> either one all the time, if I'm reading that correctly. That's not what
> I mean. My thinking was that servers with the cell-wide key would just
> use afs-rxgk@_afs.cell, and servers that don't have the cell-wide key
> would use afs3-bos@host. The client would try with afs3-bos@host, but if
> that doesn't exist (or the connection negotiation fails), we would retry
> assuming that we can use afs-rxgk@_afs.cell. That's a problem?

I was also thinking that the server would only have one identity, and the
client would try one and fall back to the other if the first one failed
(when I was thinking about using the cell-wide identity for db machine
bosservers).  The bosserver is really functioning more like cron or an
init system (i.e., local to a machine) than a cell-wide service, though.

-Ben