[AFS3-std] Re: tokens for bosserver

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:46:09 +0000

On 16 Feb 2013, at 21:42, Andrew Deason wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:26:43 +0000
> Simon Wilkinson <simon@sxw.org.uk> wrote:
>=20
>> There's two issues here. Firstly, only machines hosting vlservers =
have
>> access to the key material necessary to accept GSSNegotiate calls for
>> afs-rxgk@_afs.cell. Machines with the rxgk cell-wide key can accept
>> rxgk challenges using cell-wide tokens, but the failure mode here is
>> such that I don't think you'd want to base a key negotiation on it.
>=20
> What failure mode?

It's the whole RX abort problem again - errors in the RX =
challenge/response are conveyed by means of RX aborts, which are =
unprotected. So an attacker can cause security connection establishment =
to fail with whatever error code they like. This means that where there =
is a choice (of mechanisms, or of keys) an attacker can force the =
connection to proceed using the a configuration of their choosing. =
Relying on this for key negotiation opens us up to a downgrade attack.

Cheers,

Simon