[AFS3-std] review comments for draft-deason-afs3-type-time-03

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Wed, 2 Apr 2014 15:10:10 -0400 (EDT)

I read this draft, and have no objection to the technical protocol
described therein.

However, the document itself has a couple of omissions/errors.  Section
3.3 does not explicitly mention that the resolution field is in increments
of 100 ns (the same as the other types/fields), though this is mentioned a
little later in the document.  Also, the text in Section 7 for converting
between FILETIME and AFSAbsTime64 (and vice versa) reverses the sense of
addition and subtraction necessary for effecting the different
conversions.  (The sample code in Section 7.2 appears to be correct.)

Also, since it was written, we approved rxgk, which has a 64-bit time
representation, rendering the claim in the introduction of "All extant"
representations no longer accurate.

Now, on to editorial comments.  I have a couple of general comments, and a
pile of tiny nits which I will send to Andrew unicast.

Throughout the document, there are a lot of references to representations
with "more" or "higher" or "less" granularity than others, or "at least"
some granularity.  This is potentially confusing, since higher (finer)
granularity would actually mean a smaller "granular difference" (smallest
representable difference).  Most of the document does use the "finer
granularity" and "coarser granularity" that I would prefer, but some
places do not.

In Section 5, I believe the "for" in "accommodate for" is not necessary.
There is also a "make take" when just "take" is intended, I believe.

In Section 6, I would s/worthy to note/worth noting/ .

-Ben