[Foundation-discuss] Foundation Update

Dave Botsch botsch@cnf.cornell.edu
Mon, 18 Apr 2016 10:03:20 -0400

Hi, all.

As you know the Foundation recently appointed Security Officers, in
response to discussion with the OpenAFS community.

Next up is looking at what we are currently terming the Technical Lead
and the Release Managers. We expect this to, as the Security Officer
positions do, largely mirror what already happens. Proposed position
descriptions are at the end of this message.

RFQs are out for liability insurance. Once we have insurance, we can
begin to sign binaries on behalf of the community as well as reimburse
people for their time.

To simplify individual donations of money, the Foundation has set up 4
levels for donation of money equivalent to Developer Hours. We'll be
starting a campaign, soon, to specifically gather money towards some of
the immediate needs of OpenAFS. The Donation page is at:

http://www.openafsfoundation.org/help/donate/

Thanks!

§ Technical Lead

The OpenAFS project Technical Lead is, in effect, in charge of the technical
direction of the OpenAFS project. The Technical Lead should be familiar with
the code base and the concepts behind OpenAFS and filesystems as a whole.
Specific responsibilities are as follows:

• Maintaining a productive working environment for development teams.

• Representing the technology perspective to the OpenAFS Foundation Board
Members and to the OpenAFS community.

• Establishes and/or co-ordinates programmes of work (delivered through
development).

• Works with individual developers, OpenaFS Release Managers, and the OpenAFS
Security team to accomplish the goals of the OpenAFS project

• Coordinates OpenAFS releases

• In coordination with the Foundation Board, community, and Release Managers,
sets the deliverables for releases of OpenAFS (ie the RoadMap)

The OpenAFS Technical Lead is appointed by the Board of the OpenAFS Foundation,
Inc per the by-laws of the Foundation.

§ Release Managers

The OpenAFS Release Managers, or Gatekeepers, are in charge of a particular
code branch of the OpenAFS code base. A branch of code may be limited to a
particular operating system version or to a specific version of OpenAFS,
itself.

Gatekeepers have the final seal of approval via the Merge operation on code
changes submitted to the code branch (in the GIT code repository) for which
they are responsible. They may also review and approve changes prior to merging
the code. With the exception of the Security Officer and project Technical
Lead, the Gatekeepers are the only ones who may merge code.

Release Managers/Gatekeepers are also responsible for packaging and digitally
signing OpenAFS binary releases distributed by the OpenAFS project. In the case
of a third party packaging OpenAFS binary releases on behalf of the project,
the Gatekeepers will assist and coordinate with those third parties as needed
(although it is understood that the direct responsibility for the packaging
will, in this case, be the third parties themselves and not the Gatekeepers).

Gatekeepers should be familiar with the OpenAFS code base and the concepts
behind OpenAFS and filesystems as a whole. Gatekeepers must have in depth
technical knowledge of the operating system(s) corresponding to the OpenAFS OS
specific branches for which the Gatekeeper is responsible.

Gatekeepers will directly report to the OpenAFS Technical Lead.

On the recommendation of the OpenAFS Technical Lead, the OpenAFS Foundation
board members will appoint individual Gatekeepers per the by-laws of the
Foundation.

--
David William Botsch