[OpenAFS-announce] OpenAFS 1.5.62 released (Production Version for Windows; Test Version
for other platforms)
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:01:10 -0400
1.5.62 is the recommended production-ready release of OpenAFS for
Microsoft Windows users. It supports all Microsoft Windows operating
systems from Windows 2000 through Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server
2008 including both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. The 1.5.62
release continues the recent efforts at optimizing the performance of
the Windows client and improving its scalability.
For UNIX, Linux, and MacOS X (including Snow Leopard) the recommended
production-ready release of OpenAFS is 1.4.11. The 1.5.62 Windows
client is fully compatible with all AFS server versions.
Please visit http://www.openafs.org/windows.html for up to date
information on the status of the OpenAFS for Windows client.
This production release is a major release. Important changes since
* CRITICAL: Fixes two errors that can result in data loss when
storing data to the file server.
1. Failure to Store Portions of Unaligned Writes
2. Failure to Store Data to File Servers Lacking Large File Support
Read the announcement for more details:
* CRITICAL: The cache manager daemon thread could terminate when the
machine enters suspend mode. This daemon thread performs the
background check of down servers, offline volumes, callback
* CRITICAL: Integrated Logon (afslogon.dll) was terminating
unexpectedly. Error checking has been improved and NULL pointer
dereferences after Lsa API calls fail have been eliminated.
* For the first time, the OpenAFS SMB Server supports the DCE RPC
services SRVSVC and WKSSVC. Browsing \\AFS with the Explorer
Shell or NET VIEW will now be faster and provide additional
functionality. No longer will cell names longer than 12 characters
* Improvements to DFS Referral request processing have been
* Unnecessary DNS lookups of share names are avoided improving
* Numerous invisible changes to improve code maintainability,
portability and enhanceability.
All Unix platforms:
* Non-Kerberos PAM modules work correctly again.
* MacOS 10.6 (Snowleopard) is now supported, both 32 and 64 bit
* Updates to the AFSCommander preferences pane.
* Installer now permits cell names with dashes.
This release is the recommended production release for all
Microsoft Windows environments.
Source code and binaries can be downloaded from
Please send reports of successful deployments to
email@example.com and report problems to firstname.lastname@example.org.
for the OpenAFS Gatekeepers