[OpenAFS-announce] Stepping down as OpenAFS Elder and Gatekeeper

Russ Allbery openafs-info@openafs.org
Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:24:32 -0700

Hello everyone,

Due primarily to lack of time, I'm resigning as an OpenAFS Elder and
Gatekeeper.  As you probably all have noticed, I've not done much
substantial in either role for some time, largely because I have too many
other draws on my time.  My job with Stanford is primarily focused on
authentication and authorization services these days, not file systems,
and other projects such as Debian are consuming all of my available
volunteer time.

One of the lessons I learned from volunteer work in Usenet governance is
that it's always tempting to stay in a position even if one doesn't have
time to devote to it, but it's never a good idea.  It creates guilt and
stress in the person who stays in that position without having time for
it, and it creates uncertainty and stagnation in a community that needs to
move forward with the time and attention of the people who do have
resources.  It's much better to make a clean break once one realizes that
one's personal time and resources are no longer up to the position.

I don't think this will result in very much day-to-day change for anyone
else working on the project.  Stanford is happy to continue hosting the
Gerrit, Git repository, and Jabber server for the project under the
current arrangement for as long as the community would like us to, and I
plan to continue to maintain the Debian packages of OpenAFS, although I
may be a bit slower on updates than I have in the past.  I do, however,
plan to stop following every Gerrit change and every OpenAFS bug, so
please explicitly copy me or list me as a reviewer if there's something
that you need me to see.

Thank you to everyone who is or has been part of the OpenAFS community for
all your hard work on OpenAFS over the years, and thanks in particular to
Jeff and Derrick, who have been doing nearly all of the Gatekeeper work
for as long as I've been involved in the project, and to whom I was only
able to offer occasional assistance.  It's been a pleasure to work with
all of you, and I'm looking forward to continuing working with you in the
capacity of a member of the AFS community.