[OpenAFS-announce] OpenAFS Foundation Update

Roman Mitz openafs-info@openafs.org
Mon, 7 Oct 2013 14:42:08 -0400

--089e011609386aa0f904e82b0215

It's been a while.  Here are the latest updates, with apologies for the
delay.

Updates:

*  A signed agreement has been struck between IBM and representatives of
the Creation Committee.

* Our lawyers reviewed, then submitted the incorporation papers for The
OpenAFS Foundation, Inc.;

* The foundation has been created.

* A bank account has been opened.

* All funds remaining from previous years (not dedicated to the OpenAFS
Workshops) have been transferred into the new bank account.

* Working on filing non-profit status with the IRS.

Details:

* Todd has been instrumental in facilitating the complicated process of
getting a signed agreement and of having IBM agree that we may use the
terms "AFS" and "OpenAFS" in the name and description of the Foundation.
 This was a critical step in preventing potential legal issues over naming
and terminology in the future, which many of us had been fearing and hoping
to avoid.  Future agreements covering other aspects will likely have to be
forged, but the first step has been done successfully.

* The firm's team reviewed what our group had compiled to-date as required
materials going into the application package for the foundation of the
Foundation.  OpenAFS Foundation, Inc., is now incorporated and marked as
non-profit-to-be in the incorporation categorization.  This means that the
Foundation now exists as a legal, independent entity.  For the purposes of
the incorporation, all five of us had to be listed as preliminary
directors, but we will hand over this role when the first true board
members have been chosen.

* Also, Roman opened an independent bank account for the Foundation with
the PNC Bank.  As the minimal number of authorized signors should be two,
the Pittsburgh location was the logical choice.

* All moneys previously donated to the cause of OpenAFS were transferred
from the previous account at CMU into the new bank account.  Funds for the
current OpenAFS Workshops are kept separately in that existing
organization.  We are happy that we could meet the fiscal year deadline by
Carnegie Mellon, and all went smoothly.  These moneys are now available to
the Foundation as operating funds.

Next steps and how you can help:

* The Creation Committee, after having procured a tax ID for the newly
incorporated Foundation, will need to compile the packet of materials
supporting our application for official non-profit status with the IRS.  It
is the IRS that awards this status, if our application is approved; if the
approval fails, we will have the opportunity to improve the organization
and/or application and re-try at a later date.

* In the not too distant future, the preliminary board (i.e. Our Creation
Committee) wants to hand over the baton to the initial Board of Directors.
 Thus, we are seeking individuals with a proven track record of business
success and with good connections.  You may help us with suggestions or
volunteering; resumes would be most helpful.  The Creation Committee can
then contact viable candidates and invite them to serve pro-bono on our
initial Board of Directors.

Roman, on behalf of the Creation Committee

PS: This update is being published in both the OpenAFS newsletter and via
the openafs-announce list in an attempt to reach the broadest audience.
 Please direct any questions or comments to
foundation-discuss@openafs.org-- Thank you.

--089e011609386aa0f904e82b0215

-serif;font-size:12.499999046325684px">It&#39;s been a while. =A0Here are t=
he latest updates, with apologies for the delay.</div><div class=3D"gmail_e=
xtra" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:12.499999046325684px"=

font-size:12.499999046325684px">Updates:<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra=
" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:12.499999046325684px"><p>=
* =A0A signed agreement has been struck between IBM and representatives of =
the Creation Committee.</p>
>* A bank account has been opened.</p><p>* All funds remaining from previou=
s years (not dedicated to the OpenAFS Workshops) have been transferred into=
 the new bank account.</p>
ails:</p><p>* Todd has been instrumental in facilitating the complicated pr=
ocess of getting a signed agreement and of having IBM agree that we may use=
 the terms &quot;AFS&quot; and &quot;OpenAFS&quot; in the name and descript=
ion of the Foundation. =A0This was a critical step in preventing potential =
legal issues over naming and terminology in the future, which many of us ha=
d been fearing and hoping to avoid. =A0Future agreements covering other asp=
ects will likely have to be forged, but the first step has been done succes=
sfully.</p>
quired materials going into the application package for the foundation of t=
he Foundation. =A0OpenAFS Foundation, Inc., is now incorporated and marked =
as non-profit-to-be in the incorporation categorization. =A0This means that=
 the Foundation now exists as a legal, independent entity. =A0For the purpo=
ses of the incorporation, all five of us had to be listed as preliminary di=
rectors, but we will hand over this role when the first true board members =
have been chosen.</p>
 the PNC Bank. =A0As the minimal number of authorized signors should be two=
, the Pittsburgh location was the logical choice.</p><p>* All moneys previo=
usly donated to the cause of OpenAFS were transferred from the previous acc=
ount at CMU into the new bank account. =A0Funds for the current OpenAFS Wor=
kshops are kept separately in that existing organization. =A0We are happy t=
hat we could meet the fiscal year deadline by Carnegie Mellon, and all went=
 smoothly. =A0These moneys are now available to the Foundation as operating=
 funds.</p>
ee, after having procured a tax ID for the newly incorporated Foundation, w=
ill need to compile the packet of materials supporting our application for =
official non-profit status with the IRS. =A0It is the IRS that awards this =
status, if our application is approved; if the approval fails, we will have=
 the opportunity to improve the organization and/or application and re-try =
at a later date.</p>
n Committee) wants to hand over the baton to the initial Board of Directors=
. =A0Thus, we are seeking individuals with a proven track record of busines=
s success and with good connections. =A0You may help us with suggestions or=
 volunteering; resumes would be most helpful. =A0The Creation Committee can=
 then contact viable candidates and invite them to serve pro-bono on our in=
itial Board of Directors.</p>
 update is being published in both the OpenAFS newsletter and via the opena=
fs-announce list in an attempt to reach the broadest audience. =A0Please di=
rect any questions or comments to <a href=3D"mailto:foundation-discuss@open=
afs.org">foundation-discuss@openafs.org</a> -- Thank you.</p>

--089e011609386aa0f904e82b0215--