[OpenAFS-devel] Re: OpenAFS: conventions for new @sys? (rs_aix43 s390_linux22)

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
04 Nov 2000 00:49:17 -0800

jmr <jmr@computing.com> writes:

> For this particular one, IMHO you want depot instead; it's ability to
> present "sparse trees" is a critical requirement that you can't get with
> a filesystem level mapping.

@sys mapping is, however, extremely valuable *in combination with*
something like depot, speaking as someone who wrote and maintains such a
system that is used at Stanford for managing our site-wide software tree.
It significantly simplifies the instructions we give people for how to
create the /usr/pubsw symlink to the software tree for their platform, and
it makes things like automating the build and installation process for
software much easier.