[OpenAFS-devel] openafs cell and contrib area?

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Sat, 04 Nov 2000 10:43:30 -0600

Default wrote:

> > Actually, yes.  AFS clients are useless without pointing them at an
> > AFS Cell.  I believe that to be truly successful, we need to have a
> > 'default' AFS Cell that can be the 'default' ThisCell in OpenAFS
> > distributions.  Obviously, people at large sites that are currently
> > using AFS would want to point their clients at their own cell.
> > However, it would be nice if OpenAFS were _useful_ out-of-the-box
> > without human intervention, in ALL cases.
> >
> > If we travel down this road, we would need a distributed primary cell
> > such that someone in Somalia wouldn't have to have packets travel all
> > the way to Pittsburgh just to start AFS ;)
>
> The default cell is root.afs, and a time source.  AFSDB support or other dynamic configuration would obviate the need.

Yeah, if you get rid of the whole need for 'root.afs' being an actual
volume, and just build it dynamically at the client, then you wouldn't
need the master root.afs.

-- Nathan

CIS - Systems Programming                Fax: (573) 341-4216