[OpenAFS-devel] Initial concern about Linux 2.4 patch

Chas Williams chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Sun, 05 Nov 2000 18:50:05 -0500

>* it appears to add a sys_name of i386_linux24.  I'm not sure that is
>  a good idea; I believe that the ABI for Linux has been fairly stable

i made that choice because its just standard 'afs' practice.  that
doesnt make it right though.  solaris 5.6 5.7 and 5.8 all share the
same abi, but they have diff afs systypes

>Also, it seems that there are a lot of references to the sysname
>scattered throughout the patch for example both in src/config and
>src/libafs/MakefileProto.LINUX.  If it was just kernel versions, I'm

you need a way to distinguish between the different things you need
to do for the different versions of the kernel.  granted MakefileProto.LINUX
is the same (for now atleast) but perhaps in the future you might
need to do something different for diff kernel versions and MakefileProto
doesnt (currently) have access to LINUX_KERNEL_VERSION

>I am not sure that there is any easy way of addressing these concerns.

perhaps renaming i386_linux2[24] to i386_linux2?