[OpenAFS-devel] Initial concern about Linux 2.4 patch

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Mon, 06 Nov 2000 07:52:58 -0600

>     Russ> I think i386_linux24 makes the most sense.  In practice,
>     Russ> this will probably be associated with glibc 2.2 since most
>     Russ> major distributions will likely do both of those upgrades as
>     Russ> part of the same release.  (I believe Red Hat is doing
>     Russ> that.)
>
> I'm not sure if this will happen in Debian.  They have upgraded to
> glibc2.2 for woody but I wouldn't be surprised if they still support
> 2.2.x kernels when it is released.

I personally would prefer that the OpenAFS build for the 2.4 kernel not
be dependent on glibc2.2. That was a real pain in the ass for us when
moving to AFS 3.6 for bug fixes, we had to upgrade all our servers
(web/etc, not afs) to be compatible, since the afsd wouldn't run.

Now, I'd presume that in transarc's case, that's just where they chose
to build it. I'd hate to see OpenAFS make the choice to have the code
actually be 2.2 dependent.

-- Nathan

CIS - Systems Programming                Fax: (573) 341-4216