[reiserfs-list] RE: [OpenAFS-devel] weird issue with reiserfs on 2.4.3 and openaf s

Chris Mason mason@suse.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:05:23 -0500

On Wednesday, April 11, 2001 01:38:30 PM -0400 Derek Atkins
<warlord@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Ok, how about this..  Let's assume that in user-mode we bring the file
> into the inode cache and then pass just the inode number down to the
> kernel.  In the kernel, is there some (easy) way to notice that we're
> using reiserfs?

No clean way to check for reiserfs, but in the kernel, we can detect for
"provides interface to get around screwy behaviour".

> If so, perhaps when we initiate the cache file we can
> check if it's reiserfs and, if so, open the inode (which is currently
> in the cache), grab the extra data, save the extra data (somewhere),
> and then release it.  Then, later, we can check the saved data and
> notice that the file was reiserfs and behave specially.
>
> I really don't like this solution.. It's a complete kludge and
> special-case for reiserfs..  But I think it would solve our problem
> until, as you say, we move to 64-bit inodes :)

This is what I had in mind.  Where would we store the extra stuff in AFS?

-chris