[OpenAFS-devel] Requesting clarification regarding volume size limit.

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Thu, 05 Apr 2001 16:49:58 -0500

"Broughton, Travis V" wrote:

> The volume size limit is a recommendation, not a hard limitation.  It has to
> do with what can be reliably moved, dumped, restored, replicated and
> released, etc.  These factors depend as much on your specific hardware,
> network, and load as they do on the software.  You can set the quota to 0,
> which means it is unlimited, or you can set the quota to some value which
> may or may not be within the 8GB recommendation.  There is nothing in the
> code to prevent a volume from growing beyond 8GB.
>
> I have seen volumes created on AFS 3.6 with unlimited quota that had grown
> to 10+GB without any adverse effects, but this is generally not recommended.

In my personal experience, the only problems I've ever seen with larger
volumes have been the above - we had >4GB volumes on afs 3.4a servers
without much trouble at all, except at certain times for replication or
moving vols between servers I've seen weirdness.

-- Nathan

CIS - Systems Programming                Fax: (573) 341-4216